About Susana Enríquez
“The artist Susana Enríquez has assimilated the world which initially created her, taken advantage of the cultural heritage which has formed her as a Mexican and transmitted this through her art. Forms, colours, textures, spaces, working in harmony with academic rules well learned and taken to the extreme, where only natural intuition may lead us to a happy ending.”
– J. Jesús Martínez Álvarez
Susana Enríquez’s first steps into the world of art took place in the field of music as a student of flute and percussions at the Escuela Superior de Musica. Later on music would play a different, but important, role in her artwork. Next she studied theatre. This gives us an idea of the dramatic and flamboyant personality that brings brilliant colours and vibrancy to her work. Being born and raised in Mexico City has also brought an intrinsic Latin American intensity that is readily apparent. Her studies with important Mexican Artists and her constant exposure to Mexican art, both past and present, have been important in her creative process.
Her marriage to Manuel Enríquez (a major Mexican composer b.1926-d.1994) has been a significant influence. Many of her works are directly related to him and more importantly to the extraordinary relationship to music that she formed due to their mutual and varied experiences in the realm of music.
Susana is not of a passive nature and her in situ knowledge of world art and other cultures through her travels has been put to use to define her Idiosyncrasies and enrich her art. She now resides in Australia and had continued her studies and experimentation at the University of Newcastle where she was the recipient of two scholarships: the International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (2003-2006) and the University of Newcastle Postgraduate Research Scholarship (2003-2006).
Susana’s arts education began in the field of music as a student of flute and percussion, at present she holds a PhD degree in Fine Arts (Newcastle University) and a specialisation degree in Art History and Curatorship from the Australian National University.
Susana is a visual artist who paints, draws and etches. She works in a wide range of mediums. Her theme is the music in painting, but not limited to it. Susana believes in music’s emotional power because music express itself through sound and time, it allows the listener a freedom of imagination, interpretation and emotional response that is not based on the literal or the descriptive but rather on the abstract quality of painting and this is played out through her creative process.
Since 1989 Susana has held 27 Solo Exhibitions and 32 Group exhibitions both local and international including 4 Biennales in Mexico.
- 2009 Graduate Diploma (Curatorship Specialisation in Australian Art History & Curatorship) – Australian National University
- Internship at the National Gallery of Australia, Canberra
- 2006 PhD (Fine Art) – The University of Newcastle, Australia
- Creation and exhibition of 2D works based on colour and music, through the establishment of a unique colour coding system (paintings, drawings and digital art)
- 1996 M.A. Painting – Academia de San Carlos, Autonomous National University of Mexico
- 1991 Bachelor of Arts – National School of Visual Arts, Autonomous National University of Mexico (UNAM)
- 1982-1983 Drama and Literature – UNAM (Autonomous National University of Mexico)
- 1977-1981 Bachelor of Music (flute and percussion) – Institute of Fine Arts School of Music, Mexico
- 2016 Ciudades/Cities – Photographs – Museo de Arte Moderno de Toluca (pending)
- 2015 42nd Muswellbrook Art Prize– Muswellbrook Art Gallery. NSW Australia (group exhibiion)
- 2014 From red to Mexican Pink, works on paper, ASW Gallery, Newcastle Australia
- 2014 Migration: Identity and Memory – photographs – 10×8 Gallery, Sydney
- 2012 Luz Silenciosa (Silent Light) paintings at Nanshe Studio/Gallery, Newcastle
- 2011 Tema y Variaciones, painting, drawing, performance at Museo de Arte Moderno, Toluca, October 21st. November 27 2011
- 2011 Rojo de Ultramar, paintings, Seminario de Cultura Mexicana, Minister of Education in Mexico City March-April.
- 2010 Días de Fiesta, digital prints, John Hunter Hospital, Newcastle, Australia
- 2009 Del Otro lado del mar, Galería Adriana Valdéz, Guadalajara, Jal. Mexico
- 2009 An intimate likeness, portraits, John Miller Gallery, Newcastle, Australia
- 2008 Molto Vivace, Paintings and drawings, Muswellbrook Regional Gallery, NSW Australia
- 2007 Wherever it may lead, paintings, John Miller Gallery, Newcastle, Australia
- 2006 Lyrical Dsgressions, paintings, Tighes Hills Gallery, Newcastle, Australia
- 2006 Painting Music, PhD Exhibition, School of Fine Art Gallery, The University of Newcastle, Australia
- 2005 Painting Music, Tuggeranong Arts Centre, Canberra, ACT Australia
- 2005 Reverberation Time, Installation (paintings on acetate), Watt Space, Newcastle
- 2004 Espacios Sonoros, Pintura Watt Space gallery University of Newcastle. Australia
- 2004 Landscapes of Sound, paintings. Work in progress, University of Newcastle Chancellery; Newcastle, Australia.
- 2004 One hundred paintings, Visual Arts Building, Newcastle University, Australia.
- 2003 Sounds and Colours, Tuggeranong Art Centre, National Multicultural Festival; Canberra, Australia.
- 2001 Homenaje a Manuel Enríquez, Casa de la Cultura, Ocotlán, Jalisco, México.
- 2001 Retrato de un compositor, Seminario de Cultura Mexicana. México City.
- 1998 IV Festival de Artes Plásticas, ENEP Acatlán; Estado de Mexico
- 1996 Homenaje a Jaime Sabines, Casa de la Cultura Jaime Sabines. México City
- 1996 Reunión de Imágenes, Estudio de Elena Martin. Madrid, España.
- 1994 Homenaje a Manuel Enríquez, Galeria Rufino Tamayo, Casa de la Cultura de Oaxaca, Oaxaca. Mexico
- 1992 Lo orgánico por si mismo, Galeria Luis Nishizawa, Escuela Nacional de Artes Plásticas. UNAM. Mexico City
- 1990 Pintura-Instalación, Concert Hall de la Universidad de Northridge en California, United States of America
- 1989 Atmósferas Sonoras, Universidad La Salle, A.C. Mexico City
- 1987 Monotipos en Color, Instituto Cultural Domecq, A.C., México, City
- 2007 39th Muswellbrook Open Art Prize, Muswellbrook Art Gallery, NSW.
- 2005 XII Bienal Rufino Tamayo, Museo de Arte Contemporáneo, Oaxaca, Oax. México, Museo de Arte de Sinaloa, Museo de Arte de Querétaro, Instituto Potosino de Cultura, México
- 2003 Annual Student Acquisition Art Prize. Watts Space Gallery Newcastle, Australia.
- 1997 Miniprint Internacional de Cadaqués, Spain
- 1996 Miniprint Internacional de Cadaqués, tour exhibition: Spain, Japan, England and France
- 1996 Bienal Hermenegildo Bustos, Alhóndiga de Granaditas, Guanajuato, Gto. México
- 1991 Primera Bienal José Clemente Orozco, Hospicio Cabañas, Guadalajara, México
- 1990 IV Bienal Diego Rivera, Museo del Pueblo, Guanajuato, Guanajuato
- 1990 III Salón Anual de Miniestampa, National Museum of Graphic Art. México, City
- 2007 M.A.T.E. (Members & Tenants, Community Art Centre) Newcastle Art Space, NSW
- 2007 Snap to Grid 2007, digital prints. los Angeles Center for Digital Art (LACDA), Los Angeles, Ca. USA
- 2007 Ten-ants-show painting, Art Space Newcastle, Australia
- 2007 Canberra- Guadalajara, Ciudades amigas, paintings, Galería Adriana Valdéz, Guadalajara, México
- 2006 Snap to Grid, digital prints, Los Angeles Center for Digital Art (lacda), Los Angeles, Calif. USA
- 2005 Drawing the Line, Postgraduate students exhibition at School of Fine Art Gallery (SOFA) University of Newcastle
- 2004 Small……a touch of Colour, Back to back Gallery, Newcastle, Australia.
- 2004 Japan, Japan, Watt Space, University of Newcastle, Australia.
- 2004 Just for help, Matter Hospice, Newcastle, Australia.
- 2003 Three Generations of Mexican Art, Canberra Grammar School Gallery, Canberra, ACT Australia.
- 2003 The House Show, Von Bertoch Gallery Newcastle, Australia.
- 2003 University of Newcastle, SOFA, Faculty Staff & Student exhibition, – College of Liberal Arts of the University of South Carolina, USA.
- 2003 Destination Drawing, University of Fine Arts Sydney, Australia & Beijing, China.
- 2003 Collectors Choice, Von Bertoch Gallery, Newcastle, Australia
- 2003 Octavo Salón Independiente de Arte Erotico, Galería de Arte Contemporáneo y Diseño, Puebla, México
- 2002 The Flower Festival, Christ Church Cathederal, Newcastle, Australia.
- 1999 En la cuerda floja, 25 artistas visuales; Centro Cultural San Angel, México, City
- 1998 Arte y Espíritu, Oia Gallery, Santorini, Greece.
- 1998 Nishizawa y sus alumnos, Galería Topete, México, City
- 1998 Tomemos la Calle, Festival del Centro Histórico, STC METRO, México City
- 1997 Imágenes de Fin de Siglo, Festival del Centro Histórico, Academia de San Carlos, México, City
- 1996 Segunda Feria Universitaria de Arte, Museo Universitario Contemporáneo de Arte, MUCA, México,City
- 1994 Homenaje a Luis Nishizawa, Palacio de Minería, México, City
- 1992 Pintura Fresca, jóvenes pintores latinoamericanos; Galería Andre Malraux, Yerres, France
- 2011 Latin Woman of the year 2011, distinction established by the AHWBN (Australian Hispanic Business Women Network) .
- 2003-2006 International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IRS), University of Newcastle.
- 2003-2006 University of Newcastle Postgraduate Research Scholarship (UNPRS)
- 1997 Mexican Endowment for the Arts Grant FONCA-CONACULTA
- Migration: Identity and Memory – photographic book Australia, November 2016
- Private Dreams Public Collections, Manolo Ruiz Pipó , Newcastle Art Gallery, Australia, February 2009
- Voices of Mexico, CISAN-UNAM magazine, January-March 2007
- Vivace, Susana Enriquez, PhD Exhibition Catalogue, University of Newcastle, 2006
- Hunter Life Style Magazine, “Life in the Hunter Region of New South Wales”, Issue 4 November/October 2003
- Voices of Mexico, CISAN-UNAM, magazine, Number 61, October-December 2002
- Heterofonia – Cenidim, quarterly music magazine, Institute of Fine Arts, 2000
- MM1 Un Año de Diseñarte 1999, Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana. 1st. edition
2015 – 2016 Art teacher at The Arts Emporium, Newcastle, Australia
2011 – 2012 Painting teacher at the Newcastle Community Art Centre
2009 Contractor Curator at the Newcastle Art Gallery
2008 – 2009 Assistant curator internship at Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Art (ATSIA) department. National Gallery of Australia.
2008 Curator, Newcastle Community Art Center Annual show at Art Space
2001 Assistant researcher CENIDIM, National Center of Musical Research in Mexico